• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake development moved to Ubisoft Montreal (UPDATE: new teaser trailer, coming in 2026, see threadmarks)

Good news for me. The IP returns to his study, which handles high budgets. We will have to wait longer, but with a better result, for sure.

Im guessing that means restart? Woof, guess we will see this in 3 or 4 years. Talk about announcing a game way to early lol

I wish they were this candid about beyond good and evil 2. I hope that game comes out at the scope that it was originally planned for

Good news for me. The IP returns to his study, which handles high budgets. We will have to wait longer, but with a better result, for sure.

Ubisoft is a mess of a studio. They are throwing their India studios to the bin, instead on investing and collaborating to get them to the "level" they expected.

I would love to see what this game looked like a little more than a year ago when it was a mere few months from release.

Ngl I never got the insane blowback on this one. Sure it didn't look outstanding, but what were people expecting for a low-budget throwback to a dead series? Character models needed to be touched up a bit and... what else?

That must be so demoralizing for the original studio. I remember watching the live stream of its announcement and they seemed so excited and passionate about working on it. Then the internet went in hard about how “horrible” it looked and we hadn’t heard about it or seen it since that I recall. Clearly they were already improving it however they could and I guess it still wasn’t good enough.

I hope the team gets another project and aren’t completely shunned or just demoted into a support studio for other games (which will likely be the case).

1. Ubisoft throws respected-but-tattered legacy IP to their underpaid, understaffed grunt work studio, hoping to squeeze some blood out of the turd with a remake
  2. Studio runs with it, taking this opportunity to build out what they can do and prove themselves, maximally polishing this fundamental turd
  3. Ubisoft displays their glittering turd.
  4. Fans say "this is a turd"
  5. Ubisoft blames turd polishers

Well that’s sad for those who were looking forward to it.

I’m pretty sure the game was almost done. A quick and low budget remaster/remake was the idea. Was suppose to release soon after announcement.

But Ubi wasn’t expecting the insane backlash which obviously lead to delaying it. Which was even worst since it was a delay within covid maximum.

Been watching this Gundam teaser since when it came out. A female protagonist!

Ngl I never got the insane blowback on this one. Sure it didn't look outstanding, but what were people expecting for a low-budget throwback to a dead series? Character models needed to be touched up a bit and... what else?
I think it's that people weren't expecting a low-budget throwback.

Ubisoft themselves calls it an "epic" "all-time classic" in their statement. It's an important game to them, or at least they say it is, and the remake they showed before didn't really reflect that.

they could have done all that without severely damaging the aesthetic.

sucks for Ubi India. would love to see studios like this break out of their roles into bigger things, but this is definitely gonna keep them from that

is this the bad looking remake that coudn't run on switch but was secretly listed on their webstore also for switch?

I hope the original indian studio still get to work on something Prince of Persia related. It would be a waste to just scrap everything and put the shame on them.

Yeah Sands of Time deserves better, but that's one of the most iconic games in Ubisoft history, did they really think the new indian studio with no background could have pulled it off?

I hope the original indian studio still get to work on something Prince of Persia related. It would be a waste to just scrap everything and put the shame on them.

Yeah Sands of Time deserves better, but that's one of the most iconic games in Ubisoft history, did they really think the new indian studio with no background could have pulled it off?

Ubisoft Pune was acquired from Gameloft in 2008 and they have 1200+ employees.

People can call it a “legacy IP” all they want, but the Sands of Time trilogy was all the rage during the 6th gen when today’s 30-40 years old gamers were teenagers. And companies know that they can nostalgia-pander that demographic. Let’s hope this change is for the best, both for the game and the studios involved.

Welp, that’s a bad look.

They got Metroid Primed
The Sands of Prime.

Ubisoft Pune was acquired from Gameloft in 2008 and they have 1200+ employees.

Still not the kind of pedigree for a remake of an old AAA title, Gameloft is known for making mobile games, but the other problem is that Ubisoft initially thought it was fine remaking it on a lower budget when fans rightfully expected a level of production comparable to how it was back then (so very ambitious)

Again it would have been way more interesting to see them tackling a new Prince of Persia in 2D perhaps.

Still not the kind of pedigree for a remake of an old AAA title, Gameloft is known for making mobile games, but the other problem is that Ubisoft initially thought it was fine remaking it on a lower budget when fans rightfully expected a level of production comparable to how it was back then (so very ambitious)

Again it would have been way more interesting to see them tackling a new Prince of Persia in 2D perhaps.

The point was that they are neither a new studio nor do they have no background. In the 10+ years since being bought by Ubisoft they've assisted on several AAA titles. That people don't know about it is pretty irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom