• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News PICROSS S NAMCO LEGENDARY edition coming to Switch on May 30 (out now!)

Barely Able

Yoshi
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
Finished Logiart but still not done with S+. I was worried I'd have no more Picross after I was done with that one so good to know we got another one from the GOAT picross devs.

“A second character editor has been added to the Nintendo Switch version of Picross S!”

Okay, that has to be a terrible translation error, right?? I’m guessing it’s supposed to say something along the lines of “introducing a second (video game) character edition installment the Picross S series (after the SEGA Genesis & Master System Edition) for Nintendo Switch!”

I know Jupiter has issues with localization but getting something like this in a game’s trailer so wrong is bad…lol.

“A second character editor has been added to the Nintendo Switch version of Picross S!”

Okay, that has to be a terrible translation error, right?? I’m guessing it’s supposed to say something along the lines of “introducing a second (video game) character edition installment the Picross S series (after the SEGA Genesis & Master System Edition) for Nintendo Switch!”

I know Jupiter has issues with localization but getting something like this in a game’s trailer so wrong is bad…lol.
If it’s character then this is the fourth even considering overlord and Kemono friends

Yeah, the japanese page says it's character edition

If it’s character then this is the fourth even considering overlord and Kemono friends

I guess they are only counting companies instead of crossovers, even the jp page only refers to the SEGA as character edition

EDIT: At least their consistent with the description

r8VAxEx.png

Last edited:
That’s why I added “(video game)” there, but also those other two licenses Picross games aren’t part of the Picross S series like this and the SEGA one are.

omg jupiter REALLY doesn't want me to play any other game this year

this is great and as usual a day 1 but the fact that other companies are jumping on these jupiter collabs meanwhile nintendo is not even acknowledging their own IP in any way is pretty sad :(

At this point I'm expecting the June Direct to be nothing but picross games from Jupiter.
i'll be happy if they would even tweet once about a picross game but Nintendo has never included a picross game in any direct / mini direct / indie world or anything during the entire switch era. besides releasing an unlocalized version of mario's super picross on nso nintendo has been completely ghosting jupiter and the picross IP this gen.

edit:
"A second character editor has been added to the Nintendo Switch™ version of Picross S !"

i know what they mean but i'm starting to think jupiter is just using some terrible machine translation for their localization and not even proof reading these, which is crazy for text included in a trailer. the localization in logiart was also pretty bad, including the trailers.

Last edited:
At this point I'm expecting the June Direct to be nothing but picross games from Jupiter.
Jupiter should make "Picross S: June Nintendo Direct Edition" where each puzzle you solve is a picture of a new game coming to Switch in the latter half of 2024. In order to find out what's coming out, you have to beat the game.

Chill out omg

Only played the basegame of S+ and half of logiart grimoire, don't need ANOTHER picross yet

Unrelated but Emil should be an assist trophy in the next Smash Bros. He could show up with his book, say a bizzare nonsequiter about fish, and then cover the screen in a picross puzzle that gradually fills iin

I'm always surprised by how hands-off Nintendo is with Picross, and honestly how few Nintendo collaborations we get. Kind of odd we don't have a Nintendo equivalent of this.

omg jupiter REALLY doesn't want me to play any other game this year

this is great and as usual a day 1 but the fact that other companies are jumping on these jupiter collabs meanwhile nintendo is not even acknowledging their own IP in any way is pretty sad :(

i'll be happy if they would even tweet once about a picross game but Nintendo has never included a picross game in any direct / mini direct / indie world or anything during the entire switch era. besides releasing an unlocalized version of mario's super picross on nso nintendo has been completely ghosting jupiter and the picross IP this gen.

edit:
"A second character editor has been added to the Nintendo Switch™ version of Picross S !"

i know what they mean but i'm starting to think jupiter is just using some terrible machine translation for their localization and not even proof reading these, which is crazy for text included in a trailer. the localization in logiart was also pretty bad, including the trailers.
What can we do?

It's our duty to solve them all.

I'm always surprised by how hands-off Nintendo is with Picross, and honestly how few Nintendo collaborations we get. Kind of odd we don't have a Nintendo equivalent of this.

I'd put money down on it that it's because they don't sell well enough for Nintendo to consider them for a crossover again.

Quoted by: Tye
I still haven't finished Picross S9! I haven't touched Logiart Grimoire at all, and I backed it! At this rate I'm never going to play Picross S+!

Jupiter, please, have mercy. My wallet is fine but my time is not.

This looks cute. I've played Logiart, but am I correct in assuming that generally the S games have a more sterile vibe to them? One part of Logiart which I've adored was sparse dialogue and generally fun look, but this is the first game from the S series that isn't white and gray

This looks cute. I've played Logiart, but am I correct in assuming that generally the S games have a more sterile vibe to them? One part of Logiart which I've adored was sparse dialogue and generally fun look, but this is the first game from the S series that isn't white and gray
the aesthetic seems pretty similar to the sega game, just with a red theme instead of blue

japanese pre-purchase and demo are up, should be up in the NA/EU eshops soon

puzzle number is 150 for normal and mega, 250 for clip (5x50), 30 for color and 5 for extra modes

I'd put money down on it that it's because they don't sell well enough for Nintendo to consider them for a crossover again.
At this point I’m starting to wonder if the reason Nintendo hasn’t been publishing any Picross games by Jupiter—aside from the fact that they already weren’t publishing games from them last generation outside of free, Club/My Nintendo reward-only games, which aren’t a thing anymore on Switch—is because Jupiter clearly doesn’t have a proper localization team and their English translations and QA aren’t good enough to meet Nintendo’s standards.

At this point I’m starting to wonder if the reason Nintendo hasn’t been publishing any Picross games by Jupiter—aside from the fact that they already weren’t publishing games from them last generation outside of free, Club/My Nintendo reward-only games, which aren’t a thing anymore on Switch—is because Jupiter clearly doesn’t have a proper localization team and their English translations and QA aren’t good enough to meet Nintendo’s standards.
wouldn't nintendo be handling the localization if they were to release a new game from jupiter?

wouldn't nintendo be handling the localization if they were to release a new game from jupiter?
Maybe? For a normal retail release like Picross DS, yeah, very likely, but I’m honestly not sure what the localization process was for the Nintendo-published Picross eShop games on 3DS. I’m not even sure if they have credits to determine that?

Definitely going to get this; the Sega version was really good. I’m surprised they haven’t done this with other VG companies.

Man, Jupiter is on a roll this year. And not going to lie I've been wanting another gaming themed Picross since the Sega one so this is a definite buy for me.

surprised the release date isn't June 24th, that would have been a very appropriate tribute to the late pixel artist that did a decent chunk of the notable titles included. Hiroshi Ono. (that's his birthday, for reference.)

Tried the demo, it's more Jupiter picross so that's good and they gave puzzles for every mode to try, incluiding the extra ones with one 30 x 30 to tackle which has the same problem in logiart, the numbers are too small

Nintendo Life (8/10):
If Picross historically hasn’t been your cup of tea, there is absolutely nothing in Picross S Namco Legendary Edition that’s going to change your mind. Much like the last 10 or so releases in Jupiter’s never-ending puzzle series, this is effectively little else than an extensive level pack that should offer another 20 to 30 hours of puzzles to solve—only this time around it’s Namco stuff that you’re uncovering. But let’s be real, what else did this release need to be? Picross is already just about as highly polished as it can be, and the introduction of too many supplemental mechanics would just come off as gimmicky. Picross S Namco Legendary Edition isn’t designed to be anything to blow you away, then. It's simply another great entry in an exhaustively lengthy series. If Picross is your thing, this one is definitely worth a look.

• It's more Picross, and it's very good
  • Namco theming helps this one stand out from the pack
  • Tons of quality-of-life features
  • It's just more Picross?
  • No new features in this edition

OK that initial paragraph:

It’s been rough out there for poor Picross fans during this generation, as they’ve been cruelly starved for content with only 23 game releases on Switch (if you count the 'e' series) that offer up a paltry sum of over 5,000 puzzles to solve. Those puzzles aren’t even all original either—if you really want to be pedantic, the Mega Picross puzzles are usually repeats.

So, uh, I just had the game glitch out on me in Color Picross… Suddenly some buttons just became unresponsive, and I had to close the game. It’s not an issue with my Joy-Con because they worked fine outside of the game. I’ve never had a Picross game glitch out on me like this before…

I see we're back to having the classic localization blunders in this. Puzzle 48 is called "Ramp". Guess what it actually is.

Jupiter is really cranking out the Picross games lately...and I keep buying them (and enjoying them). I know a lot of people like to turn off the music and have a podcast or something on while playing and that's cool, but I'm a fan of the chill, comfy soundtracks Jupiter comes up with to accompany their puzzles. That said, this time I had to tap out and listen to something else because that Mappy theme was driving me crazy!

i almost never listen to the actual music that comes with these games while playing (i just play while listening to podcasts/etc) but i do actually really like jupiter's music and have listened to it on its own many times (from this video). but the music that's included with this release is just grating and not relaxing at all.

Back
Top Bottom