• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Midori Strikes Back || Jet Grind Radio Remake In-Development Screens Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

Fox Brigade
as a reminder, Midori/MysticDistance had access to a large amounts of Sega data he traded for other info. this would most likely be part of that info. this is different from the GaaS game that would follow this. I suspect the two games will share a lot of systems, hence some things like the "shooting"

GQzonDwXwAACtCu

GQzonyPXEAAexSZ
GQzooklWAAA6zpZ

GQzopeKXUAAj4PV

The big question is... If this will be arriving on the Switch 2.

Also, how the hell is he still on the internet, i would have expected him to be gone by now.

Also, how the hell is he still on the internet, i would have expected him to be gone by now.
he had a lot of fans who didn't see the racism in pretending to be a japanese woman with broken english.

he had a lot of fans who didn't see the racism in pretending to be a japanese woman with broken english.
May I respectfully ask what is racist about that? I mean, it's obvious it's not exactly in the best taste. But I personally fail to see how pretending to be someone who speaks English as a second language is inherently racist. I'd be happy to learn how I'm wrong, I just don't get how something that's awkward and cringeworthy translates into "that's racist behavior."

May I respectfully ask what is racist about that? I mean, it's obvious it's not exactly in the best taste. But I personally fail to see how pretending to be someone who speaks English as a second language is inherently racist. I'd be happy to learn how I'm wrong, I just don't get how something that's awkward and cringeworthy translates into "that's racist behavior."
Pretending to be another race online and roleplaying with broken English to fulfill that is racist. I don't really know how else to explain that.

afaik he dumped a bunch of stuff before fucking off and not all of it has made it's way into the public eye yet

Coping that this White Guy is still wrong and that the "Shooting" button prompt is either a dev thing testing the cops (like I assume "Infight" is) or a wonky translation of something.
Do like the look of the game though, even this early on. I just hope Sega isn't fucking stupid enough to give Beat a gun.

Neat. If this doesn't arrive to Switch it should be on Switch 2, this sort of games shine in Nintendo systems.

Also, where is my Skies of Arcadia remake Sega???

Coping that this White Guy is still wrong and that the "Shooting" button prompt is either a dev thing testing the cops (like I assume "Infight" is) or a wonky translation of something.
Do like the look of the game though, even this early on. I just hope Sega isn't fucking stupid enough to give Beat a gun.
given the other rumors about the JSR GaaS game, it's closer to what you fear

Pretending to be another race online and roleplaying with broken English to fulfill that is racist. I don't really know how else to explain that.
Ehh, I mean I guess so. I don't think the impersonation was derogatory. And it was believable.

Definitely a shitty thing to do but I struggle to see how it is harmful to Japanese women overall or comes from a racist mindset. He was pretending to be a Japanese person while using a Japanese source. It's not like he was discriminating against Japanese people with the impersonation.

I'm not here to be some Midori apologist either. I'm glad their leaking career is over.

I just guess I view the impersonation more as a stupid and awkward decision, not one fueled by prejudiced or hateful intent.

given the other rumors about the JSR GaaS game, it's closer to what you fear
Yeah, but it could also just be games of telephone and mistranslations. Not all of MysticDistance's Sega info was correct (Banana Rumble will be Apple Arcade exclusive, lol), and given that this game is seemingly leaning into being an social media phenomenon making a protest for change through graffiti art, it'd be incredibly strange to just shoot some cops.

You'd think it'd be something they show in an early trailer or screenshot anyways if it's a significant part of the game.

Ehh, I mean I guess so. I don't think the impersonation was derogatory. And it was believable.

Definitely a shitty thing to do but I struggle to see how it is harmful to Japanese women overall or comes from a racist mindset. He was pretending to be a Japanese person while using a Japanese source. It's not like he was discriminating against Japanese people with the impersonation.

I'm not here to be some Midori apologist either. I'm glad their leaking career is over.

I just guess I view the impersonation more as a stupid and awkward decision, not one fueled by prejudiced or hateful intent.
One of the issues is how Asian women are fetishized in the west. Role playing as a Japanese woman with broken English, knowing this persona would be sexualized in the eyes of their English speaking followers, plays into the cultural framing around Asian women that persists to this day. It really isn’t that far removed from things like blackface.

One of the issues is how Asian women are fetishized in the west. Role playing as a Japanese woman with broken English, knowing this persona would be sexualized in the eyes of their English speaking followers, plays into the cultural framing around Asian women that persists to this day. It really isn’t that far removed from things like blackface.
Well, I guess I can sort of see that point with regards to blackface, although I don't think the fetishization of Asian women is directly comparable to the history of minstrel shows in America or the much much more widespread practice of blackface worldwide.

I still sort of see the point from that angle. I do, however, think it's a bit dangerous to label things as equally racist as other things that look similar. That ultimately undermines truth.

Thanks very much for the insight.

I’ll play it. Hopefully on Switch 2!

It’d be fun if they could put Kamurocho or Ijincho from Yakuza in there as a bonus level lol

You need to deeply relearn the concept of racism because intent has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I agree with you there. Harm caused is much more important than intent of behavior. But still, I'm also asking what exactly is the harm to Japanese people by pretending to be a Japanese person who can't speak English well. I don't think it's inherently racist to pretend you're from another country and can't speak English well when you're trying to hide your identity online.

It would be racist, in my mind, if the impersonation was prejudiced or derogatory. I don't think it was, personally.

I do think that uniformly looking at this behavior through the lens of behavior like blackface ultimately undermines how bad blackface is.

I don't want to stir any more shit than I have. My question was answered.

Please avoid low-effort drive-by posts on serious subjects. – MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego, meatbag, Zellia
Wut?

Midori was no different than literally any vtuber out there pretending to be something they aren't. Folks are only upset because they were horny for the character that they learned was a man and are trying to call Midori racist instead of realizing their fetishization of Asian women is the problem.

Yeah, but it could also just be games of telephone and mistranslations. Not all of MysticDistance's Sega info was correct (Banana Rumble will be Apple Arcade exclusive, lol), and given that this game is seemingly leaning into being an social media phenomenon making a protest for change through graffiti art, it'd be incredibly strange to just shoot some cops.

You'd think it'd be something they show in an early trailer or screenshot anyways if it's a significant part of the game.

Yeah, my big hope right now is that the entire premise of "shooting" is based on this button prompt and theory-crafting. Especially since, as you note, it could be dev stuff to instigate an event. I guess with the social media angle, it could also not even refer to a gun, it could be for photography for their faux social media thing.

Though it sure would be some crazy-ass twist to have Beat go "vandalism of corporate property is not enough, it's time to take direct action" and put Captain Onishima down live on stream before he goes to Rokkaku HQ.

not sure how I feel about no or reduced cel-shading
This is incredibly early footage, but there is definitely still cel-shading here. Characters have outlines, and they're still cel shaded. There's motion blur now (that I don't think looks good personally) but this is how cel-shading looks with higher poly models. The folds in Beat's jeans and hoodie feel like they're being done to emphasize that.
I do think it's worth mentioning that the only footage we've seen has horrible compression or is from seemingly incredibly early alpha builds. Cel-shading is not going away here, in fact the Power Surge trailer had more stylization than these, which is footage we were never meant to see.
GA-VfP4WwAApHRa
)

Midori was no different than literally any vtuber out there pretending to be something they aren't. Folks are only upset because they were horny for the character that they learned was a man and are trying to call Midori racist instead of realizing their fetishization of Asian women is the problem.
You caught me. I was really horny for a Twitter account and now I'm calling them racist to cover my shame.

Please do not insinuate that other users are propagating stereotypes and fetishizing others, which is clearly not the case for the post you quoted. - meatbag, Lord Azrael, MissingNo, Tangerine_Cookie, BassForever
Waste of time to reply to me with something like this. Go JAQ off somewhere else.

This is an odd reply for someone who is so concerned with people being sexualised to make. I personally think it’s strange to immediately associate what Midori did with fetishising/sexualising women. I didn’t remotely see anything sexual in what they did? Racist yes, but it feels like a weird angle to push - that they were doing it as a sexual thing by leaking video games and pretending to be Japanese when there’s nothing to support that theory. You are almost propagating the thing you are describing by inserting it somewhere it doesn’t belong.

For downplaying racism, you have been banned for two weeks. - Lord Azrael, BassForever, IsisStormDragon, Tangerine_Cookie, MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego, meatbag
This is a bad take in general but within the context is even worse. The assumption that Asian women specifically are inherently sexualized in the west is a generalisation (at best) but even if we assume this is the case you can't say that this is what was happening with Midori (it was not some elaborate persona trying to catfish people, AFAIK) or that this is even remotely comparable with blackface.
How do you reconcile someone having an internet alias (even if distasteful) with a gesture that is specifically designed to mock an entire group of people purely based on their skin color?

Clearly in what way? They look like normal human character models with some light cel-style lighting. The cartoony proportions and sharp, squared-off shaping is gone.
DJ Professor K has pretty huge hands, so I imagine they're still being a bit cartoony with proportions. Future already leaned more towards realistic proportions for characters, just kinda failed cause it was an early Xbox game.
66a345a8-ac21-4ea7-9e4c-6adbd8c73b0a.png

You caught me. I was really horny for a Twitter account and now I'm calling them racist to cover my shame.
I mean, are you not the one who essentially said that the character of Midori was comparable to blackface because she was intentionally making herself sexy for her following? Literally not one bit of Midori's tweets were sexual in any capacity.

That's not Midori being racist, that's you admitting you have a fetish for Asian women, which is actually racist behavior.

Last edited:
This is an odd reply for someone who is so concerned with people being sexualised to make. I personally think it’s strange to immediately associate what Midori did with fetishising/sexualising women. I didn’t remotely see anything sexual in what they did?
So you didn't see the sort of things that account's followers would say? Professions of love, requests to date/marry, etc. The belief is that their reason for portraying themselves as an Asian woman in particular was to try and attract that sort of attention.

I mean, are you not the one you essentially said that the character of Midori was comparable to blackface because she was intentionally making herself sexy for her following? Literally not one bit of Midori's tweets were sexual in any capacity.

That's not Midori being racist, that's you admitting you have a fetish for Asian women, which is actually racist behavior.
A lot of Midori's tweets were like "teehee, don't have a crush on me I have a boyfriend :)" which is incredibly weird to come out of an account that was actually a straight white guy.

DJ Professor K has pretty huge hands, so I imagine they're still being a bit cartoony with proportions. Future already leaned more towards realistic proportions for characters, just kinda failed cause it was an early Xbox game.
66a345a8-ac21-4ea7-9e4c-6adbd8c73b0a.png
Okay that looks a lot better to me. Those shots of Beat gave me a "fanmade Unreal demo" vibe, but this looks more like what I'd expect.

Aughta just wait till I see a trailer or something, probably.

For downplaying and excusing racism over a series of posts, and a history of similar behavior, you're being permanently banned. - Tangerine_Cookie, IsisStormDragon, Zellia, karmitt, BassForever, Lord Azrael, DecoReturns, NabiscoFelt, meatbag, Dardan
A lot of Midori's tweets were like "teehee, don't have a crush on me I have a boyfriend :)" which is incredibly weird to come out of an account that was actually a straight white guy.
But again, that's more admitting that the problem lies with the followers feeling betrayed that the account is run by a man more than Midori being a racist caricature. Folks are mad they can't be horny for her anymore, not that she was a racist portrayal of a Japanese woman.

Okay that looks a lot better to me. Those shots of Beat gave me a "fanmade Unreal demo" vibe, but this looks more like what I'd expect.

Aughta just wait till I see a trailer or something, probably.
I think the skybox in the leaked gameplay are literally using the Unreal engine default skybox so, kinda? This is definitely early footage that wasn't meant for the public and I don't think most of it should be taken as what the final art direction is gonna look like, aside from some basic flair things like the graffiti basically exploding onto a wall while grinding.

But again, that's more admitting that the problem lies with the followers feeling betrayed that the account is run by a man more than Midori being a racist caricature. Folks are mad they can't be horny for her anymore, not that she was a racist portrayal of a Japanese woman.
I was never horny for her, I have a boyfriend lol.

Speaking entirely in broken english and making the non-leaker part of your persona be "UwU you're all so nice but you can't date me" is DEFINITELY a little bit fetishy on MysticDistance's part, especially cause they're a Persona fan.

I don't think you know what you are talking about and quite frankly this conversation has taken the wrong turn. Kinda weird to just say this after your previous posts but whatever.

We're locking this thread while we review reports.

-Tangerine_Cookie, Zellia, IsisStormDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom