• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Serious Midori revealed to be Mystic Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

Master of the Undernet
Pronouns
He/Him
Lets keep all discussion about the Midori/Mystic Distance stuff here to keep the Direct speculation thread on the rails

Everyone right now

maxresdefault.jpg

The racial cosplay protected them when what they were posting (their language and the content) was easy to scrutinize and cast doubt on. People enjoyed the idea that they were talking to and following a ~real Japanese girl~. They liked that they thought they were teaching this person slang, drawing out tidbits about their personal life, or could imitate their ("Japanese") speech patterns and play with it like a toy.

LARPers are all around us and people in the gaming space in particular enjoy fetishizing others.

Doesn't seem like anyone really wins in this scenario. The people snooping around were digging up stuff out of spite and the target spend months roleplaying as a Japanese person speaking in broken English. Just a very strange saga all around.

This leaker culture thing is embarrassing. The real sad part is I see similar things happen within wallstreet. Its like everyones desire for attention and community combined with ego/narcissistic behavior just blows up and here we are.

Im glad I don't have ego issues and secret discords and stuff

:sneaky:

The racial cosplay protected them when what they were posting (their language and the content) was easy to scrutinize and cast doubt on. People enjoyed the idea that they were talking to and following a ~real Japanese girl~. They liked that they thought they were teaching this person slang, drawing out tidbits about their personal life, or could imitate their ("Japanese") speech patterns and play with it like a toy.

LARPers are all around us and people in the gaming space in particular enjoy fetishizing others.
Well, I would say that both the person who likes to tease the "Japanese girl" and the American male who pretends to be a Japanese girl are very racist.

Doesn't seem like anyone really wins in this scenario. The people snooping around were digging up stuff out of spite and the target spend months roleplaying as a Japanese person speaking in broken English. Just a very strange saga all around.

image.png

As much as I want to ask 'Who?', I'm seeing certain names dredged up associated with Midori/MysticDance that I'd rather see buried in the dirt and never mentioned again, so all there's to say is good riddance and the sooner we move on, the better.

Yes. But it was achieved through questionable methods, such as betraying the trust of colleagues.
I did read the original article and the information he obtained about the persona6 seems to be inaccurate as there is no internal Sega information to testify to.

Well, I would say that both the person who likes to tease the "Japanese girl" and the American male who pretends to be a Japanese girl are very racist.
that's what I'm saying yes, that they engaged with their own racist fantasy while benefitting from others'

Well I suppose to summarize the information for those just coming to this thread (some of the embed tweets above may get taken down due to linking to the pastebin):

You are likely already aware of Midori, a prominent SEGA leaker who recently branched out to Nintendo and Square Enix leaks.

This situation originally stems from a tweet by TailsGuy. They posted about a deleted thread on /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours that revealed some information about Midori's identity. I will not post the information here, but below are some cut out quotes from this:

Throwaway account from a large group of 3 different communities discussing it and meeting with the various people who've interacted with him over the past year. Midori is mysticdistance without a doubt. Nothing more than a very poor leaker who rebranded. While at first we didn't think we'd be able to prove it, we talked to someone who stumbled upon this information recently (pretty obvious, although he doesn't seem to care, he just asked a few mutuals who confirmed it). It was already obvious to anyone who was his friend in the past, as his method of getting sources was very similar - lots of domain/server crawling and a lot of shoddy leaks being traded for real leaks.

His nintendo codename leaks? You can get that far off crawling their servers, but you can't get any further into the folders as far as we're aware from talking to real leakers. Think the EGS data leak today - if you couldn't get past "utah", you'd maybe know it's TLOU2, but it'd be hard to prove it beyond guesses.

His sega leaks? Internal 2021-2023 presentations showing their next years plans. Nothing about persona 6 in there, and after talking to some sega staff, we're confident he doesn't have a sega source of his own, but instead said internal presentations were handed off to him. A lot of this was obviously very accurate, but he was out of leaks. That's the main thing that tipped us off he didn't have a real source.

He traded info for his square enix leaks, he doesn't have a source - some of the stuff he knows is also just blatantly wrong, as shown by him being wrong earlier today.

The xbox showcase leaked in full in private circles, so we know he didn't have a source for that, or he wouldn't have done his usual "theres these things at the showcase by square be excited" and still manage to fuck it up - we knew there was nothing besides LiS...so "titles" was just always going to be wrong.

Midori originally got spooked because that era guy that asked around accidentally asked Mystics best friend (gf?) if midori was one of our friends before we told him that we were pretty sure it was mystic. That's the only reason Midori got scared and said people were asking his friends - no one stalked a japanese lady. That was an early warning sign for midori. Midori proceeded to tweet they were done leaking with the clarification that "I didn't get caught", except you completely did.

There's a lot of proof, from identical writing styles to being completely shaky on leak accuracy with the exception of the past few months when they got those old sega documents with information that wasn't public yet. The habit of being wrong but vague enough statements that they theoretically could've been right is a MysticDistance classic.

Their smoking gun here was finding out the Mystic had change the name of their Personal Central to Midori. After this Midori has come forward and confirmed some of this information in this thread:

Now that would be the end of the drama. That Midori is a white man who create a persona of a Japanese girl as a front to deliver leaks from an private circle.

However, there's more to this story.

As posted by twitter user A Mudkip, they claim that the information is misleading:
Back in December/Jan when the p5 betas were obtained and Tails offered to rip them. This put him in touch with Midori at some point who was trying to translate them, during this time Tails began dming Midori semi frequently and considered her a friend.

Eventually he ended up in Zippo's discord. In dms with Zippo and info taken from Zippo's discord, Zippo essentially coaxed a teenager into giving him info he at least assumed Midori had. After manipulating Tails, he made that article that Midori and him had drama from.

Here is a discord data download containing him and Zippos dms where you can see Zippos behavior towards him This obviously fucks with a teenager and makes him feel really guilty, which makes them do stupid shit.
Tails after this did some cringe irrelevant teenager stuff and confessed to Midori and other people in dms what he had done. He also went dark on twitter and discord to "take a break."

In a knee jerk reaction, Tails decided to make Zippo doc during this time where Tails scraped every channel in Zippos discord he had access to. (These will not be shared, but they do exist somewhere.) Luckily others persuaded him not to make one because of his state.

During that time up until now, he dmed Midori personal info and tried to make up for what he did. Midori did not reciprocate or give info on her own personal identity, Tails sees some info that is NOT the document he shared and gets miffed Midori might have been lying.

Now suddenly a whole document exists with background info about Midori, on top of this web archive page which is still pretty iffy. With this, he gets a healthy bit of internet attention and a Midori rumor spread around while the iron is hot.

I will not comment on who Midori is, but context is important, especially when its a emotional teenager making accusations.This will undoubtably make a firestorm and people will share that document when, given Tails track record, its more than likely him who made it.

That's about all of the important bits of information, there's more stuff out there, but that might lean too much into interpersonal drama.

Please use inclusive language while referring to others. Not all Famiboards users are "guys". - Party Sklar, meatbag, Tangerine_Cookie, Dardan Sandiego
Don't worry guys. We still have Markomaro.

Only thing surprising to me is that it wasn’t a leaker who shall not be named piloting the account after buying it off the OG owner when they “quit” a few months back. That was 110% how I expected this to play out after most of their stuff eventually turns up false.

I’m glad this whole saga is over finally. Now we can all get back on with our lives.

This leaker culture thing is embarrassing.
Aye. Some of you all are way way way too attached to getting stuff leaked and going out of your way to constantly moan and whine when it’s a slow news day. Not to mention harassing and pestering anyone purporting to have inside information which many of us have witnessed on this very forum as recently as the past week.

Learn some patience, and maybe be a little more skeptical about randos on the Internet.

Off-topic kinda but it's kinda amazing almost all internet drama always leads back to a discord server somewhere. I'm glad I'm too much of a boomer mentally that I don't know how to use said site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom