• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion It is time for a big 3D Yoshi and DK game.

Time for 3D?

• Total voters

menx64

Moblin
1.jpg

I was recently playing the 200cc races from the Mk8DX DLC and I just remembered how much I like the scope of this Yoshi race. I know this is just a race track and most everything is just background images, but I am really hoping we can get a 3D Yoshi game with that scale. A love the recent DK games, but a new one of that scale (with more trees) would be also something to behold. I would love to see what Nintendo can do with the physics engine from BoTW/ToTK for some DK action.
A new platforming DK will be good and day 1 for me, but for Yoshi I hope they can do something bigger. Kirby is already halfway there tbh.

Absolutely down for DK in 3D, especially if it's got a bit of BK inspiration.

Not so excited for Yoshi if Good Feel is going to do it. Their games are way too easy most of the time.

I have no doubts that GoodFeel will eventually try a 3D Yoshi game after Mameda Bakeru and Peach Showtime. Could be something fun but they always do relatively easy stuff, especially when compared to the original Yoshİ's Island game.

For 3D DK game Nintendo needs to recruit a studio to handle that task. I'm not sure if there is one today. Closest thing is Playtonic.

I have no doubts that GoodFeel will eventually try a 3D Yoshi game after Mameda Bakeru and Peach Showtime. Could be something fun but they always do relatively easy stuff, especially when compared to the original Yoshİ's Island game.

For 3D DK game Nintendo needs to recruit a studio to handle that task. I'm not sure if there is one today. Closest thing is Playtonic.
I don’t see why they would need to recruit a studio when EAD, Retro, and NST have all made 3D games before. Makes about as much sense as GoodFeel doing 3D Yoshi.

I don’t see why they would need to recruit a studio when EAD, Retro, and NST have all made 3D games before. Makes about as much sense as GoodFeel doing 3D Yoshi.
Aside from Mario 3D teams, none of them has done 3D platformer before. FPS, yes, puzzle yes but no 3D platformers. Retro might have a good outcome in their first try but it may take a lot of time as they couldn't finish the current project in time. And I suspect Mario 3D teams won't have free time between future Mario games.

GoodFeel on the other hand, was founded by Konami veterans. Specifically people who made all the Goemon the Mystical Ninja games, including the 3D one on N64. They haven't made one for years but their return (Mameda Bakeru) proves that they haven't forgotten how to do that after all those years.

2D forever, honestly. I don't see 3D doing either of these two any real big favors. And strangely I'd find it more limiting creatively for whoever made the games.

I'd make an exception if it was more course based ala Super Mario 3D World and it wasn't full on exploratory sandbox-y format. But then I'd need it to be simultaneous multiplayer as well with goofy, team sabotaging shenanigans.

I’d like to see what a 3D Yoshi only game looks like. I’d also like to see another stab at 3D Donkey Kong. I had a great time revisiting and finally 100% completing DK64 last year.

Aside from Mario 3D teams, none of them has done 3D platformer before. FPS, yes, puzzle yes but no 3D platformers. Retro might have a good outcome in their first try but it may take a lot of time as they couldn't finish the current project in time. And I suspect Mario 3D teams won't have free time between future Mario games.

GoodFeel on the other hand, was founded by Konami veterans. Specifically people who made all the Goemon the Mystical Ninja games, including the 3D one on N64. They haven't made one for years but their return (Mameda Bakeru) proves that they haven't forgotten how to do that after all those years.
Two of those three teams have worked on 3D Mario games. I’d also trust Retro to make a good 3D platformer than the team that made Mameda Bakeru to be honest.

I've been waiting for DK64-2 for 25 years - I could probably wait another few, but my patience is wearing thin.

Nintendo Software Technology was a significant part of development for Bowser's Fury.

Also Metroid Prime puts a lot more platforming focus on things than most FPS games before it (besides Turok but that feels terrible and was a lot of the same team anyways) to offset the fact the shooting is very simple. It's a first person Super Metroid in controls and feel, but that's semantics. Either way, that's closer to a 3D platformer than a 2D platformer, which Retro also knocked out of the park without making one before.

I'm of the opinion, as a huge Banjo fan, that as poetic it would be that DK would be the one to carry Rare's torch in their decades of absence from slower collectathons, that I also would not want that.
If they ever make a 3D DK game I would want it to be a more linear 3D platformer with secrets kinda like the Crash games, but feeling more like DKC with no boxes and generally being faster, but a similar level of difficulty.
However the voice inside me shouting "please I just want another one it's been 10 years" makes me just want another 2D DKC. I don't think 3D platformers will replace 2D ones if one happens though. For example, there's definitely gonna be another 3D Kirby game but if you think HAL is gonna just throw out the 2D formula cause it was successful, you're definitely mistaken. I always see people on here acting like series have to have their jump to 3D, and I don't think that's the case. Sometimes things just work better in 2D, like making harder than average level design, which is DKC's bread and butter.

It’s been long past due for both of these franchises to get new or full on 3D entries!

The egg tossing/shooting could be the major mechanic that separates Yoshi from Mario. Then you could have super primate parkour with plentiful vine swinging and the ability to swiftly climb and cling to anything and you have a winner on your hands! Go watch some gibbons playing in the trees and tell me Donkey Kong and the gang wouldn’t be perfect for that type of gamplay!

Man DK could be straight up Nintendo’s Spider-Man.

I know it isn’t perfect but I loved donkey Kong 64- I think it’s time for a new one! I’m so down for more collecthon style gameplay since Banjo still hasn’t come back.

For whatever reason I can’t picture how Yoshi would translate from 2D to 3D… wasn’t Croc originally a 3D Yoshi game? Maybe it could be something like that…? (But uh.., better, one would hope.)

I'd rather them remain as 2D titles. I find the discussion of wanting 2D titles as 3D experiences to be very, very adolescent.
There is this strange sense of “3D superiority” that often permeates gaming discourse, it annoys me too.

I'd rather them remain as 2D titles. I find the discussion of wanting 2D titles as 3D experiences to be very, very adolescent.
That's an interesting word choice. Why? Loads of 2D franchises turned 3D turned out pretty good, like Kirby for a recent example. It can be fun to see how developers try to maintain a title's design philosophy across an additional dimension.

I want a Yoshi game that actually translates the original Yoshi's Island's "linear levels but still open enough to hide secrets and collectibles" design philosophy into 3D, and I want a DK game that takes 3D World's obstacle course approach and just turns it up to 11

2D forever, honestly. I don't see 3D doing either of these two any real big favors. And strangely I'd find it more limiting creatively for whoever made the games.

I'd make an exception if it was more course based ala Super Mario 3D World and it wasn't full on exploratory sandbox-y format. But then I'd need it to be simultaneous multiplayer as well with goofy, team sabotaging shenanigans.

TBH, I figure they would be close to Mario Odyssey in terms of world and stages than SM3D.

It’s been long past due for both of these franchises to get new or full on 3D entries!

The egg tossing/shooting could be the major mechanic that separates Yoshi from Mario. Then you could have super primate parkour with plentiful vine swinging and the ability to swiftly climb and cling to anything and you have a winner on your hands! Go watch some gibbons playing in the trees and tell me Donkey Kong and the gang wouldn’t be perfect for that type of gamplay!

Man DK could be straight up Nintendo’s Spider-Man.

DK spiderman is an idea I can get behind haha. I was actually thinking DK more like Indiana Jones, exploring ruins and recovering old artifacts from previous DK ancestors.
Yoshi could work something like death stranding. Yoshi's role is a vehicle most of the time, so transporting baby Mario or other characters while fighting monsters, using colored shells for different power ups...

TBH I am hoping for a dual pack DKCR and TF on switch 2. I love those games, but a 3d game would be also interesting. In an ideal world we get both... but you never know.

That's an interesting word choice. Why? Loads of 2D franchises turned 3D turned out pretty good, like Kirby for a recent example. It can be fun to see how developers try to maintain a title's design philosophy across an additional dimension.
Usually because I see a lot of people either implying, or in some cases, outright stating, that a 3D entry is more ambitious or inherently worth more money than a 2D one, which should just be budget titles or they won't sell. I mean, look at the Metroid Dread discussions, a game better than most of the 3D Metroid games. It reminds me a lot of the PS1/N64 era of "N64 has fully 3D Castlevania games, that's so much cooler than that lame 2D one Playstation got, Symphony of the Night."

Yoshi's Island in 3D would likely have to axe or overhaul some mechanics, particularly things like ricocheting and bouncing eggs off walls in order to hit switches. It's not like using a Koopa shell where the bouncing happens on the ground, Yoshi is usually hitting a switch far above or below his head and trying to get the egg to curve around something which doesn't really sound nice for 3D controls unless there's a lot of careful level design like reserving those kinds of puzzles for smaller areas where there's less room for error.

Then there's the bubble timer thing that happens whenever baby Mario falls off of Yoshi. Imagine trying to catch him in 3D where he can bounce in a lot more directions. Honestly they'd probably remove that (finally no more baby crying!) but that means a new life and game over system in its place if they don't keep it.

I'm not opposed to it, I'd actually want to see stuff like baby DK and baby Wario again since the DS gave Yoshi more babies to deal with. Although a Kong's Island game where Yoshi rescues DK instead of Mario sounds like an interesting wildcard option.

I don’t get the appeal of 3D Yoshi
I loved the Yoshi sections in Galaxy 2 but it would require pointer controls. Wouldnt work in handheld mode. If there is no good control scheme using Yoshis tounge I also dont see the appeal.

Then there's the bubble timer thing that happens whenever baby Mario falls off of Yoshi. Imagine trying to catch him in 3D where he can bounce in a lot more directions. Honestly they'd probably remove that (finally no more baby crying!) but that means a new life and game over system in its place if they don't keep it.
There's as many Yoshi games with a standard health system than there are ones with the Baby system if I'm not mistaken. They'd probably just use the one from Story/Woolly World/Crafted World

So much blasphemy in this thread! It’s not about 3D being inherently superior to 2D, it’s just about seeing certain gameplay concepts and worlds expanded in a way that only 3D could provide. Like Mario, Metroid, Zelda and now Kirby, Yoshi and Donkey Kong deserve both 2D and 3D entries.

The idea of franchises making a successful transition to 3D was always one of those palpable collective dreams. Boy I remember being in elementary school and seeing Mario 64 for the first time was something out of a dream. When Zelda hit I was in jr high and we all lost our collective ship.

When I see the Kong’s Kingdom in the Mario Movie or Yoshi’s Island in Mario Kart, I want to thoroughly explore those worlds as if I was really there. 3D provides that exploration in a way that a 2D game can not. That doesn’t necessarily mean 3D is superior but it can offer a very different experience to satisfy different needs from gamers.

As for difficulties with transitioning 2D Yoshi gameplay, Yoshi’s tongue has been done with and without pointers. Both options easily available with Switch style controllers. Ricocheting eggs can work with a “laser” system, a lock on system and who knows what else Nintendo think up. Baby Mario floating around in a 3D bubble is the most nonissue ever. Targeting and shooting a large sphere above the players character is no different than targeting a flying enemy. If the problem is that the bubble could float away too high, well program it not to. Or no baby Mario at all as the majority of Yoshi games do these days. The Yoshi gameplay in 3D Mario could easily be expanded with eggs into its own series and 2D Yoshi could still carry on as is.

The transition into 3D game development obviously means more resources put into the game. Between enthusiast spaces in gaming, 3D is more often than not favored over 2D or classic games because it's seen as 'acceptable' or an ideal game, versus a 2D game being seen as a lesser product.

3D Yoshi has been my dream since I was a wee lad

Nintendo doesn't want to do it because they don't want to make gaming's magnum opus until absolutely necessary

DK, I can take or leave. I just want another game, period.

With Yoshi, it's a bit more interesting. At its core, I always thought of Yoshi's Island as a fun and interesting way of continuing the SMB2/USA formula. Namely, even if it's still based on stages with a clear "goal", there's much more exploration to be had, with items to seek out and bonus stages to play. The basic gameplay loop is more focused on "grabbing" things/enemies and chucking them at other enemies. Shy Guys are there.

I just struggle to think of how you could translate Yoshi into a 3D space in a way that wouldn't step on the toes of Kirby (a fellow people eater that even got the ability to temporarily transform into vehicles for his 3D outing), or Mario (who, in turn, took a lot of Yoshi's Island-isms when he translated into the 3D realm for 64).

Man, Yoshi's Island was great - it was so beautiful and original at the time, and I loved every second of it! Part of that was due to it being the game that Tezuka and Miyamoto wanted to make, and it had the usual level of Nintendo polish found during the Super Famicom/Nintendo era.

I really hope people get what they want here, but I honestly don't really care what Nintendo does with its established legacy franchises for the most part at this point - there is such a rich library there now that I can go back to old games and have a wonderful time. Anything new is just gravy (as long as they take the time to flesh the games out and don't just pump them out).

What I would really like to see is for some of the upper middle level staff have a chance to tell their stories - some of the senior level staffers with some new ideas. Obviously Nintendo is amazing at fleshing out gameplay, however it would be great to see some new worlds emerge. Monolith and Intelligent Systems have been great for this and Nintendo is all the richer for it.

Arms and Princess Peach: Showtime! were good ideas, but were pretty barebones and could have benefitted from more time in the oven to flesh them out more. It's all about that gameplay.

Ultimately I also hope they establish a division at some point for mature games, or at the very least aren't quite so rigid about them needing to be accessible to all ages - sometimes the story just doesn't work if that is a requirement, you know?

I would love to see more new attempts at IP like these though, but I understand it is risky to put a lot of money into unestablished franchises.

Really though, Nintendo games almost always have great gameplay, and because of that reason I will keep coming back for more.

We just don't get as many 3d titles and I like a little more exploration and adventure than course clear, which for whatever reason Nintendo's 3d titles tend to offer. Its just a matter of taste really. I like both. But as a 2d platforming fan also, I'm already extremely well fed. While on the 3d side I'm very hungry.

Yoshi can stay 2D as far as I'm concerned.

Now, as for Donkey Kong, yeah, I've been banging that drum (bongo?) since the GameCube days.

I also thought the same about Kirby, but it's clear 3D did really well to his franchise. Kirby was even more difficult to translate to 3D due to more combat-heavy gameplay, but they did it swimmingly and it's now surpassed the 7 million barrier. And it's not like Yoshi Island-like gameplay has never been featured in a 3D environment before (SM64DS anyone?)

Yoshi could stand to benefit from it in particular, especially since no game has ever been able to surpass the OG Yoshi Island in terms of critical and commercial reception. Even Woolly World and Crafted World, despite being good games, are still beholden to ideas introduced in YI and Story (not a coincidence. Those are EAD-developed.). It really needs to freshen up its overall philosophy.

Last edited:
Bowser Revolution it is!! The dice have spoke-n. Bowser gets a 3D platformer. Sorry Yoshi and DK!

I hope for it, I thought they would not do it but then Kirby 3D happened. Must be a few years time. There could be various segments with the different colored yoshis and powers. Maybe he will save Mario.

Back
Top Bottom