• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion In a bit of akward timing, Activision opens a new studio on Poland

Lugia667

Darknut
Pronouns
He/Him

Microsoft's Activision subsidiary announced today that it is opening a new game development studio to take advantage of the huge talent pool growing in Poland. It'll be the second Activision studio based in the region, joining Infinity Ward Krakow, although this studio is, in fact, not working on Call of Duty.

Elsewhere Entertainment is an all-new studio incubating an all-new franchise, boasting industry vets. The new studio is based in Warsaw "with additional resources in the United States," and enjoys alumni from franchises like The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry, and more.

Can't wait to play their games on the Switch 2

Game development will likely be outsourced except for MEGA STUDIOS that make triple A monster games

Not a bad thing tho, I would be really happy with a more global game base of developers that are able to make it beyond PC and indie titles

Acti & MS not being slick with why they are likely opening this one up tho

Game development will likely be outsourced except for MEGA STUDIOS that make triple A monster games

Not a bad thing tho, I would be really happy with a more global game base of developers that are able to make it beyond PC and indie titles

Acti & MS not being slick with why they are likely opening this one up tho

Even for Mega Studios, a lot of the asset creation and grunt work is outsourced to studios in cheaper countries - Singapore I believe has a number of studios that act as contractors for AAA support.

The issue in many cases is that these studios have a really tough crunch culture, and are basically working as outsourced sweatshops for their Western counterparts.

This is one of those announcements that makes me feel joy and bloodlust at the same time. I am very happy to see another narrative-driven studio be opened being backed by Microsoft, especially when it's supporting non-US countries. The big problem is that this is a week after the Tango and Arkane Austin closures. I know this opening was months in the works, but it just really fucking stings that both were axed under claims of "being spread too thin" only to get spread even further out. It just comes off as kinda insulting to both of the closed studios and to the people who really enjoyed games like Dishonored 1, Prey, The Evil Within, Ghostwire and Hi-Fi Rush.

I wish the people working at the studio the best... but otherwise I'm angry at this announcement.

Back
Top Bottom