• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How "all in" will you be with Switch 2...?

It will get thousands of hours out of me, but I would likely lose my job if I went “all in.” So… yeah.

I guess you'd say I was all-in with Switch but based on the rumors I'm going to stepping all the way out with Switch 2

that said I'll buy it whenever they put an Animal Crossing or Pikmin game on it

how i'm curious as someone that doesn't really follow hardware rumors at all

what specifically has you feeling so down?

A lot of this depends on whether it's backward compatible. If it is, I'll do what I do now and get 90% of multiplatform games there unless they're actually more convenient to have on PS5.

The ability to play natively handheld is just too good and I've finished dozens of games I wouldn't have otherwise on PlayStation (Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, etc.).

And Switch has all of my longtime favorite games of all time now, so the library I've built up is just too good to fragment across multiple platforms unless there's a really good reason to own something elsewhere.

Nintendo systems have always been my main platform. PlayStation was my secondary platform, but I stopped with last gen. The paid online plus the shift towards cinematic AAA games and GaaS meant I'm not the main target for the system. And with pc getting more and more Japanese games, it felt like my decision was made easy.

So I went with pc as secondary system, it's without joking the ideal platform. Many DRM free options, cheaper games overall, best performance most of the time, mods, emulation, BC isn't a concern. I could go on.

And with the Steam Deck, we got many of the benefits of pc in portable form. It changed how I bought and played games, the same way the Switch changed it before. I stopped buying a game on Switch by default. Now I check the price and performance before making a decision. I'd love to support third party games on Switch, but I'm not willing to sacrifice anything for it most of the time.

Hopefully the next Switch will be the best place to play all the games that release there. But it will need to prove itself imo.

I'm pretty much Nintendo/PC only so it will be more of the same, so all-in. If Switch 2 can run more games then I will buy more games.

Way things are right now. Probably never unless someone buys it for me or I come into some kinda big money somehow.

I have long ago decided that PS5 is my last non-N system. I have loved many PlayStation titles and third parties there over the years but I simply don't have the time or energy to justify having multiple platforms going forward. Once PS5 only titles I might want dry up years from now it’ll be NBD to me if I miss out on the occasional non-Nintendo exclusive.

The Switch has always been viewed as a complimentary console to PS5, XBox Series, PCs, etc. Very rarely do you see it as someone's main console or only console if that makes sense.
This OP really reminds me how out of touch I am with people my age as someone whose primary gaming system is a Switch lol. 75% of people my age or younger are PC gamers, and even then the Switch still is seen as a secondary console like you said. Whenever someone asked me if I’m PC or console and I say console, and then the ask PlayStation or Xbox and I respond “Switch”, I always get a reaction like “Oh… okay.”

Been like this my whole life sadly with the Wii and especially the Wii U. For me PlayStation is pretty much just an Insomniac Games machine and the only Xbox game I cared about, Hi-Fi Rush just got its studio shut down. Maybe things will change with a stronger Nintendo system but idk. But I’m still going to go all in for a Switch 2 regardless.

…Maybe I’ll try to get a PC to remain somewhat relevant and to actually have something to talk about with other people my age that play video games instead of having to explain something like Xenoblade or Metroid.

I’m not sure the Switch is actually a complimentary console for a lot of people, maybe the vocal 1% of gamers on the internet but it’s just statistically unlikely.

I know a lot of people whose main console is the Switch, with some gaming on PC. Nintendo used to be my main platform before the PS4, now I’m slowly coming returning to that norm.

I just don’t have the time to play all the third parties on PS, nor the level of interest I once had, maybe my standards have risen about Ubisoft games and the like haha.

I’ll be all in on Switch 2, if it gets more Japanese support I see no reason for me to get a PlayStation from now on.

As the owner of multiple Switches and a PS5, I'm honestly just tired of having to wonder if new games (or ports, too) will run good on the Switch or not. Hopefully with Switch 2 that becomes much less of an issue, and I can use my PS5 for any exclusives and the Switch 2 for literally everything else

I’ll buy it probably like three or four years after it comes out. I’ve built such a Switch library I don’t see the point in splurging so quickly on a new console in my mid-30s.

I bought a PS5 and barely played it. So I'm pretty much just gonna be using Switch 2 as my primary console, and PC for some specific games and indies.

It's all about the games for me. i've always gravitated towards Nintendo's first party output, so Nintendo platforms have always been my main place for games. Playstation is for certain titles, particularly fighting games, then I have PC for the strategy and sim stuff I like.

So yes, when Switch 2 arrives it'll be my main place to play.

Day 1 for sure.

All in? Depends. If backwards compatibility is given, yeah.

If there is a fee for older games, or no backwards compatibility, then I would stop buying anything digital, and all multiplat/indie games would be on pc from now on (meaning I would need a capable pc). But I won't pay for a digital library if it's stuck on a platform that's Gona be dead in a couple of years.

I appreciate all the responses and thoughts from everyone...interesting to read.

I severely underestimated the amount of people that use only Switch or that's practically all that they use, it's awesome to see though!

I totally get it, it's basically the only thing relating to gaming the kids in my household will touch.

We all can't wait for Switch 2...esp. me lol.

I'm getting too old and too busy for multiple consoles, my old ass is tired and the demands on my time already far outweigh my will to live freedom.

Switch is now my main console and has been for some time, Next Gen will take its place if everything falls into place (full BC etc).

The Switch has always been viewed as a complimentary console to PS5, XBox Series, PCs, etc. Very rarely do you see it as someone's main console or only console if that makes sense.

Only on gaming forums. You should take the "oh it's a good secondary console" for what that statement has always been about, for both the Wii and the Switch. That being, people in hardcore audiences struggling to deal with the fact that people are happy with "just" a Nintendo console. Through the sheer sales numbers alone, you can comfortably say more people have "just" a switch than just a playstation 4 or 5, and that's a tough pill to swallow for some people.

Only on gaming forums. You should take the "oh it's a good secondary console" for what that statement has always been about, for both the Wii and the Switch. That being, people in hardcore audiences struggling to deal with the fact that people are happy with "just" a Nintendo console. Through the sheer sales numbers alone, you can comfortably say more people have "just" a switch than just a playstation 4 or 5, and that's a tough pill to swallow for some people.

No it's a very good point and one I think I severely underestimated.

Hell I should've known better...the kids in my house prove it to me, 4 of the 5 pretty much only play Switch.

I play mainly on PC except when some interesting first party titles release on Switch.
Will be the same for Switch 2 for me, but I might ditch the Playstation in the future, if they release their games on PC as well.

I appreciate all the responses and thoughts from everyone...interesting to read.

I severely underestimated the amount of people that use only Switch or that's practically all that they use, it's awesome to see though!

I totally get it, it's basically the only thing relating to gaming the kids in my household will touch.

We all can't wait for Switch 2...esp. me lol.
I'm in my 40s, and owning all consoles seems uncessary and what I can get from PC and Switch is enough to cover my needs.

As long as a port is solid and isnt broken i will play it on Switch. I think I'm well past the I have to be multiplatofrm to show in a gamer type of mentality. I enjoy Nintendo platforms and only have time to game on Nintendo platforms plus PC. Not ashamed of it. There are lots PS4/5 only folks who wear it proudly, I don't get why Nintendo folks can't be the same especially on a Nintendo focused sub.

Last edited:
I already started saving up so I'd say I'm all in. I was contemplating getting a steam deck last year for a bigger library, but I figured it'd be too clunky to hold with my disability. I hope switch 2 will have better ergonomics than the current switch but I think it's safe to assume it won't be as heavy and big hand oriented as a steam deck at least.

I've always been all in on Switch and depending on how well they manage the transition, I will be there for Switch 2 day one. Though I will keep playing my Strategy and Building Games on PC, no console in the world is able to change that.

how i'm curious as someone that doesn't really follow hardware rumors at all

what specifically has you feeling so down?
based on customs data it's steam deck sized

I'm just not interested in something that big unfortunately

it's fine though, I'll just put another thousand hours into splatoon until they make a lite or whatever

Back
Top Bottom