• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Alpha footage of the new "Animal Crossing-like" game from Hoyoverse has leaked

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him

You can play multiplayer.
The game is gacha
Thousands of clothing and furniture options.
There are neighbors (just like AC)
Events & lore.
Platforms: PC, Android, PS5

GPpgsQ6WYAANXqs.png

This is absolutely dangerous for Nintendo.
Forget the steam deck, a mobile free AAA Animal Crossing is actual competition.
Well, yeah. Because people are stupid enough to get into ''free'' games where they still end up spending much more money than they do just buying a console game.

That is what made Nintendo leave mobile game production as well. They tried to make mobile games like Mario Run that they were aiming to sell for low amounts of money. It ended up no one bought it because people want ''free'' mobile games that they then spend thousands of dollars on instead of just buying a cheap mobile game that they spend a few dollars on.

Funny that the phrase "Animal Crossing-like" actually undersells how like Animal Crossing this is.

Movable camera is a must for the next AC though.

Did HoYoVeRsE ever did anything new on their own? First was Zombie GirlZ or something else, then Honkai 2nd Impact and 3rd Impact, after that Genshin and most recently Star Rail with Zenless Zone Zero just looking like another existing concept of a musou game but on their own ways; all existing concepts but turned Gacha GaaS games.

Did HoYoVeRsE ever did anything new on their own? First was Zombie GirlZ or something else, then Honkai 2nd Impact and 3rd Impact, after that Genshin and most recently Star Rail with Zenless Zone Zero just looking like another existing concept of a musou game but on their own ways; all existing concepts but turned Gacha GaaS games.
Damn, its like they are waiting for Nintendo to come up with new game concepts that they can then make a gacha version of. I bet they are waiting for Nintendo to present their next 3D Mario game patiently so they know what they can copy from that game.

They like copycat+gacha, especially copying Nintendo one.

Anyway, Nintendo know that their games will got copycat, just like dark-soul. But any games/toys will get bored eventually, so they keep changing their games.

For example, 3D mario, from simple jumping mario64; to water pump in sunshince; sphere map in galaxy; 2D and 3D combined map in 3D world; and the hat in Odyssey.
For Zelda, they changed from linear OoT to open world BOTW, and then add customize element in TOTK.

Make an iconic character, and keep the gameplay fresh and innovative. That's what Nintendo did and made them unique.

Last edited:
I think this will be the one gacha to finally make western lawmakers go hard on those microtransactions.
Would be sweet to have it this way, but it would take to HoYo to go as hard as how once EA went with the "surprise mechanics" along the "pride and satisfaction" of leaving five digits or more in debt for just a soccer player that would end obsolete half a month later

Well, yeah. Because people are stupid enough to get into ''free'' games where they still end up spending much more money than they do just buying a console game.

That is what made Nintendo leave mobile game production as well. They tried to make mobile games like Mario Run that they were aiming to sell for low amounts of money. It ended up no one bought it because people want ''free'' mobile games that they then spend thousands of dollars on instead of just buying a cheap mobile game that they spend a few dollars on.
Plenty of people who don't spend a single dime on F2P games, the vast majority of people aren't whales.

Yeah this is gonna do crazy numbers. It's gonna be free to play with way better integrated multiplayer. Lord knows if the gameplay loop will offer something different to typical animal crossing stuff but it's for sure a big threat. It'd probably be crossplay and come to switch 2 as well. One of the biggest complaints people had with animal crossing were the lack of updates I think - hoyoverse shit them out like it's nothing. I think this could eclipse animal crossing I'm not even joking.

Damn, its like they are waiting for Nintendo to come up with new game concepts that they can then make a gacha version of. I bet they are waiting for Nintendo to present their next 3D Mario game patiently so they know what they can copy from that game.
Is more of "What can we get that already exists to make it as predatory and milkable to the general public to get massive output and easy bucks?" but that's a blanket statement for all the gacha industry. Look at Nikke, is just an idle game where the core of the gameplay to progress is Time Crisis with asses.

on-topic, nintendo better be actually giving a fuck making the next animal crossing and not phoning it in

Yeah this is gonna do crazy numbers. It's gonna be free to play with way better integrated multiplayer. Lord knows if the gameplay loop will offer something different to typical animal crossing stuff but it's for sure a big threat. It'd probably be crossplay and come to switch 2 as well. One of the biggest complaints people had with animal crossing were the lack of updates I think - hoyoverse shit them out like it's nothing.
One thing, Genshin copied Breath of the wild but didn't kill excitement for new Zelda games anyway. So maybe this will be the same for Animal Crossing?

One thing, Genshin copied Breath of the wild but didn't kill excitement for new Zelda games anyway. So maybe this will be the same for Animal Crossing?
Genshin is not just a copy of Breath of the Wild tho, it has plenty of their own things. I don't understand how putting your own twist into an existing game concept is bad on its own, that's how most games work.

Obviously I get the criticism of gacha.

Probably will be one whole deal about "Known brand vs Off-brand" once more, but expect social media to go supernova if it gets motion between those wanting to have something new from HoYo and a new Animal Crossing. As of your point of how this will go for the off-brand Animal Crossing and the original? Stands firmly because it's different markets again just like the Genshin and BotW scenario

Zelda is a much more complicated title to replicate. They just didn't have the chops for it at the time. The philosophies and gameplay design of BOTW were way to new to be completely understood imo. Animal Crossing is a much more simple title and hasn't evolved much over the years. It's also one of the easiest and approachable Nintendo games ever created. It invented the 'cozy' game genre. Imagine someone saying "let's play this game it's just like animal crossing but there's sooo much stuff!" and they reply "I don't have a switch :(" and then they're told they can log in on their phone, ipad or laptop. I mean the delta app was going viral on twitter with people posting animal crossing wild world screenshots. People want this. It won't kill Animal Crossing but it can very easily become a huge phenomenon. People doing Nintendo better or bigger than them is rare but it can happen here for sure.
Genshin is not just a copy of Breath of the Wild tho, it has plenty of their own things. I don't understand how putting your own twist into an existing game concept is bad on its own, that's how most games work.

Obviously I get the criticism of gacha.
Genshin was a BOTW ripoff from conception, like complete rip off. Enemy designs were similar, attacks were similar, movement was similar. It was just BOTW but honkai like assets with minor changes. The reinvestment and constant live service updates made it into its own game but please lets not act like the game wasn't EGREGIOUS in its copying. It was blatant plagarism.

The last one was in production (including pre-production) for 10 years lol
the question is whether unexpectedly high sales will encourage them to rush the process

this is nintendo so probably not but who knows for sure

Thought this comment was a joke at first but I guess you seriously believe that uh...

I don't think Nintendo should allow their games on Nintendo platforms, generally they should be totally supportive of third party games on Nintendo platforms but this is a company that straight up tries to damage Nintendo with copying Nintendo games and steal market share from Nintendo in doing just that. Sure, they will be big whatever Nintendo does but at least they shouldn't take up any space on platforms Nintendo controls. They are like Palworld only difference is that Palworld copies one Nintendo franchise while they copy everything.

You either pay for f2p games with a utter disrespect for your time, or for your wallet. Neither is good, and I have zero interest in any ostensibly f2p game ever again for that reason, since I actually value my time somewhat.
That's the nice thing, you don't have to ever play a F2P game if you don't want to.

It was just BOTW but honkai like assets with minor changes
I agree Genshin was obviously copying a lot from Botw but I don't think it was just "minor" changes tbh even at 1.0. Genshin is a good example of something of a copycat turning into its very own thing, now being copied itself though, I agree with that.

Also sorry, I meant to reply to the comment claiming all of Hoyo's games are blatant copies, but the one I replied to shares a similar sentiment I think so I hope it was still understandable.
You either pay for f2p games with a utter disrespect for your time, or for your wallet.
Only if you go all in, really.

I don't think Nintendo should allow their games on Nintendo platforms, generally they should be totally supportive of third party games on Nintendo platforms but this is a company that straight up tries to damage Nintendo with copying Nintendo games and steal market share from Nintendo in doing just that. Sure, they will be big whatever Nintendo does but at least they shouldn't take up any space on platforms Nintendo controls. They are like Palworld only difference is that Palworld copies one Nintendo franchise while they copy everything.
At the end of the day Nintendo can just shave off like 30% for microtransactions like sony does with vbucks and make millions off them anyway.
You either pay for f2p games with a utter disrespect for your time, or for your wallet. Neither is good, and I have zero interest in any ostensibly f2p game ever again for that reason, since I actually value my time somewhat.
Luckily Animal Crossing is quite literally time waster the game. Hopefully people will be stingy with their wallets lmao

I agree Genshin was obviously copying a lot from Botw but I don't think it was just "minor" changes tbh even at 1.0. Genshin is a good example of something of a copycat turning into its very own thing, now being copies itself though, I agree with that.

Also sorry, I meant to reply to the comment claiming all of Hoyo's games are blatant copies, but the one I replied to shares a similar sentiment I think so I hope it was still understandable.

Only if you go all in, really.
But this new Animal Crossing copy is proof that their strategy is evolving into further copying of Nintendo games, making this company the biggest threat to Nintendo now and in the future.

Insanely similar to Animal Crossing: New Horizons haha. The look of the houses and the building stuff, especially.
I wish Nintendo gave more attention to mobile games in other franchises that aren't Pokémon. AC deserved a proper game. Pocket Camp is cool, but not the ideal mobile AC experience, imo. Wonder how they will respond to this, if in any way. I don't think Nintendo cares about the mobile market thaaaaaat much.

the question is whether unexpectedly high sales will encourage them to rush the process

this is nintendo so probably not but who knows for sure

Your view of a rushed or phoned-in AC might be Nintendo's view of a complete one

Well, I'm afraid I'm a Chinese person who has a say in mihoyo's company, and let's start with the conclusion that mihoyo has always been a plagiarist, Honkai3 copied a lot of dmc moves, and Genshin was widely questioned by Chinese gamers as a plagiarist of BOTW when the first trailer was shown in 2019, but you need to understand that The "animated game" market in China is based on publishers and developers paying a lot of money and perks to online media, and utilizing the power of the self-published online army to create an advantage for themselves in terms of public opinion, and mihoyo is the company that has invested the most in this area, and I don't have any good feelings towards this company. In my opinion it is the true representation of hucksterism.

But this new Animal Crossing copy is proof that their strategy is evolving into further copying of Nintendo games, making this company the biggest threat to Nintendo now and in the future.
I'll be honest I can't say I care about Nintendo being or not being threatened. I also don't see how this game is exactly like AC to the point of being a problem for Nintendo yet, and AC is a weird series where I haven't found a single game that actually feels like it. Obviously it is very inspired but so was Disney Dreamlight Valley and that didn't kill AC either.

As long as this doesn't evolve into a Palworld situation I think Nintendo don't care, and even then...

F2P Gacha disrespects your time regardless of you paying or not. It has nothing to do with whaling. Live-service titles are built around constant engagement (which is achieved via required grinding).

Heck in some instances paying players might have to grind more. For instance in Genshin as a F2P it's actually easier to not have a character you really wanna build and as such one might just not bother with the grind. When story stuff has essentially zero power-creep it's very much doable.

Insanely similar to Animal Crossing: New Horizons haha. The look of the houses and the building stuff, especially.
I wish Nintendo gave more attention to mobile games in other franchises that aren't Pokémon. AC deserved a proper game. Pocket Camp is cool, but not the ideal mobile AC experience, imo. Wonder how they will respond to this, if in any way. I don't think Nintendo cares about the mobile market thaaaaaat much.
Nintendo only wants to make mobile games if the Mario run model would work, ie sell mobile games for a low amount of money. That wasn't possible and thus Nintendo left the mobile gaming market.

Thought this comment was a joke at first but I guess you seriously believe that uh...
I don't think he's wrong in any way, that's what mihoyo is actually doing, they're not really original, or there are basically no really original companies in the whole "anime mobile game" scene, they're just taking Japanese and American gameplay and putting it into mobile.

Replace the time travelling using your systems dates with gems and you have a business model lmfao

Nintendo only wants to make mobile games if the Mario run model would work, ie sell mobile games for a low amount of money. That wasn't possible and thus Nintendo left the mobile gaming market.
Yknow except for Fire Emblem Heroes, where it costs on average $75 per character

while it might stave off some of the playerbase from current AC, a big appeal of the franchise is still the characters themselves.

but hopefully it puts some amount of pressure on Nintendo to really outdo themselves when it comes to character interactions, online multiplayer, and activities besides visiting other people homes.

Still wild for example that they didn't use furniture as a way to integrate minigames that you could play with other players online.

Also might be time to retire the "one island per console" tradition that is hugely limiting for families/couples who don't necessarily wanna share the exact same progression or island look.

On a console focused forum like this of course mobile games is seen as a huge threat, no one of us want mobile games to destroy console gaming.
Mobile games have existed for ages now. If anything kills console games, it's going to be console game publishers.

Expose why you believe they've done anything on their own then. Try to change my mind, they even began ripping illustrations of artists and other series years ago. Seriously, I invite you to try to change my opinion on how MiHoYo hasn't done anything on their own without depending on existing things but greasing the GaaS machine

I don't think he's wrong in any way, that's what mihoyo is actually doing, they're not really original, or there are basically no really original companies in the whole "anime mobile game" scene, they're just taking Japanese and American gameplay and putting it into mobile.
I mean I'm not gonna pretend they haven't lifted some stuff but to say that their whole shtick is copying and that every title is a full blown plagiarism is laughable. C'mon pretending stuff like HSR and ZZZ is obviously ripping off such and such thing just doesn't track. The former is a turn-based space fantasy RPG (something barely explored within the anime RPG space) and the latter a stylish action urban setting thingy copying what again? Musous? Wha-t?

I mean, if it makes them happy and they're spending responsibly-- power to them!

Worth mentioning that there are a lot of people who play other Hoyoverse games (i.e. HSR/Genshin) who haven't spent a single dollar on either-- whales are absolutely the minority
I don't think Nintendo should allow their games on Nintendo platform
Hard disagree. Genshin on Switch would absolutely be huge for Nintendo.
Nintendo only wants to make mobile games if the Mario run model would work, ie sell mobile games
Nintendo literally has a gacha game that has generated over a billion dollars in revenue.

I mean I'm not gonna pretend they haven't lifted some stuff but to say that their whole sthick is copying and that every title is a full blown plagiarism is laughable. C'mon pretending stuff like HSR and ZZZ is obviously ripping off such and such thing just doesn't track. The former is a turn-based space fantasy RPG (something barely explored within the anime RPG space) and the latter a stylish action urban setting thingy copying what again? Musous? What?
The examples of zzz and HSR don't really evade the fact that they did a lot of plagiarizing on Honkai3 and Genshin, and Capcom's games and Nintendo's games have always been at the top of their list of things to plagiarize.

glances at Mario Kart Tour
But obviously Nintendo does not like the gacha model and prefer the classic model of selling games. Why else would they have abandoned mobile gaming entirely in the last few years? Because they prefer the Switch model that is successful over the gacha mobile model of doing business. Nintendo no longer even talks about mobile games with investors.

Back
Top Bottom