• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro 20 years ago the DS was first physically seen and the Wii (then known as the Revolution) first announced at E3 2004

With the current talk of the Switch successor and the 20th anniversary of Twilight Princess's reveal, people forgot about these two consoles.

Last edited:
20 years, Jeez. This was the Reggie kicking ass and taking names presser right? Probably their most legendary one.

Funny how both of those things would wind up being some of the most important reveals in Nintendo's history until the Switch

Still wish the kept the Revolution name

Last edited:
I was really indifferent towards DS even after release. It was Lite that converted me.
Same. The Lite was just sleek and perfect to slide into any kind of pocket. Dual screen and stylus and a long battery life with a clamshell protecting the screen. It just looked like a modern gadget (at the time) rather than a toy.

I was there, played it, wasn't very impressed, didn't think it would be successful. Such a long time ago and god was I wrong...

How in the world is this link still active with all the old information on it
It's a bit of a crapshoot at this point. Most of the links from these events are dead (all of the other E3 sites are now redirects and the Spaceworld sites 404), but it's still an interesting portion of the site absent from the current site map:

I watched that E3, it was a legendary time. It's too bad i can't dissociate it with a rather toxic situation on a certain popular gaming forum at the time.

I was really indifferent towards DS even after release. It was Lite that converted me.
SAME

The DS was ugly and I thought the dual screens were dumb. I was 100% on board with the PSP. This was pretty much the only time I ever took part in console warz - I was in middle school, and the PSP was everything to me.

The PSP lived up to my expectations and then some, but when the Lite came out, I saw the error of my ways and fell in love with the DS as well. Handheld gamers were feasting in the mid-2000s.

yeah, there is no saving for the original DS design despite me being a fan since they showed it. I thought it was cool having a second screen , but most importantly coming from the gba and the gba sp having a better and bigger screen was a game changer for replaying gba

Put me on team "early DS looked cool". The two-tone design made it look like it had somehow megazorded on top of a GBASP.

They cooked something fierce with DS and then Wii. Took a lot of guts (I know that it was essentially a necessary gamble, but it sure was something). I hope we still have that Nintendo cooking something unexpected in the background, while they announce Switch 2.

EDIT:
I wonder if they still see the need to release something disruptive / blue-ocean. IMO, the current market for consoles probably calls for another shake-up where consumers are surprised by a method of play that they never knew they wanted/needed.

I am not a sales expert, but it does seem like the industry has a hard ceiling of "units" sold per generation. Wonder what it will take for: (a) excite the general public, and therefore to (b) get more people spending their time on games on dedicated hardware than on phones and other forms of passing time/entertainment. Or are we looking at games moving away from dedicated platforms to more generic ARM/x86 devices -- that would potentially rob us of some cool forms of entertainment such as -- touch screen gaming (DS), 3D gaming (3DS), VR (Meta is leading here but there is no stickiness or general excitement), interactive toys such as Labo, etc.

Last edited:
I am not a sales expert, but it does seem like the industry has a hard ceiling of "units" sold per generation.
As a big numbers guy this is something I wish I could take a better crack at, but it's tricky both due to data gaps (like MS almost never giving shipment data and PS3/PSV data being sparse) and conceptually. On the one hand we could say current generations are pushing way more hardware--PS4+Switch alone accounting for way over 200m while PS2+Xbox+GCN was just right at 200m. But generations are also longer than before. Then there's the added complication of how to compare old data with separate home/portable lines to a modern time with a popular hybrid, because PS2+Xbox+GCN+GBA was also way over 200m.

As a big numbers guy this is something I wish I could take a better crack at, but it's tricky both due to data gaps (like MS almost never giving shipment data and PS3/PSV data being sparse) and conceptually. On the one hand we could say current generations are pushing way more hardware--PS4+Switch alone accounting for way over 200m while PS2+Xbox+GCN was just right at 200m. But generations are also longer than before. Then there's the added complication of how to compare old data with separate home/portable lines to a modern time with a popular hybrid, because PS2+Xbox+GCN+GBA was also way over 200m.

I agree it gets difficult, especially since the numbers are getting muddier each gen. So we don't know the total volume each generation shifts, across all the players.

Would it make sense to approach it from a revenue perspective? To see if the revenue ceiling per gen, has moved? I get the sense that we never broke through the PS2 ceiling, for TV-consoles, for e.g., and I think the DS has established a similar ceiling for the handhelds? Not sure about that one. For e.g., accounting for inflation, has the industry grown (for revenue) over the generations, and more importantly, has it peaked?

We would need to account for mobile phones as well, and probably keep it separated to get a gauge on the Big Three's health.

I was 12 at the time and this was the first time I was really following gaming news. Font think I've ever been as hyped for new consoles as I was for those two. Portable Mario64 felt mind blowing and the promisse of a new 2DMario was also super exciting at the time. Plus touch screen tech felt really wild and unique at the time and eventually the Wii Motion control would feel even more mind blowing. We'd spend hours my friends and I speculating on what series might show up on these consoles and how they might play.

Makes me feel old thinking I was in like grade 6 when these were announced, in college when 3DS and WiiU were announced and by the time they showed off the switch I was in like, the 4th year of my career. And now that the Switch succesor has been officially confirmed by Nintendo I have a 2 month old baby.

Back
Top Bottom